Guardian Angel Store - Christian gifts and books to share your values

Site Search:

Store Search:

Home > Forums > Reflections > Persistence in Prayer Home | Forums | My Account |  My Wishlist  |  Cart Contents  |  Checkout  |  www.GuardianAngelStore.com is RSS enabled.  Add this link to your feed reader to get our news updates.  In the forums add the link next to the forums you want to receive updates for.
 Navigation

Main
 Home
General
 News
 News Submission
 News Topics
 Search
 Sitemap
Community
 Forums
 Web Links
Members
 Account
Information
 About Us
 Contact
 FAQ
 Legal Documents
 Link To Us

Shopping

Aids--Classroom, Bible, Office
Angels
Automotive
Bereavement & Memorial
Bible Center
Books
Books, Used
Candles & Necessities
Church Supplies
Clothing
Collectibles/Figurines
Crosses/Crucifixes
Devotions
Encouragement/Inspirational Gift
Garden Decor
Gifts for Family & Friends
Home Treasures
Jewelry
Knights of Columbus Gifts
Love, Weddings & Marriage
Media - CDs/DVDs/Software
Message Cards
Names to Remember
Patriotism
Pocket Coins & Tokens
Sacramentals
Sacraments
Saints
Special Seasons
Sports
Toys/Games

New Products

Shop by Price
Under $10
From $10 - $30
From $30 - $50
From $50 - $100
Above $100
All Price Ranges

Guardian Angel Store: Forums

The Guardian Angel Store Forums :: View topic - Persistence in Prayer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Persistence in Prayer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prayer-Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Persistence in Prayer Reply with quote

Persistence in Prayer

Scripture:

And Amalec came, and fought against Israel in Raphidim. And Moses said to Josue: Choose out men; and go out and fight against Amalec: tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill, having the rod (staff) of God in my hand. Josue did as Moses had spoken, and he fought against Amalec; but Moses, and Aaron, and Hur, went up upon the top of the hill. And when Moses lifted up his hands, Israel overcame; but if he let them down a little, Amalec overcame. And the hands of Moses were heavy: so they took a stone, and put under him, and he sat on it: and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands on both sides. And it came to pass, that his hands were not weary until sunset. And Josue put Amalec and his people to flight, by the edge of the sword. (Exodus 17:8-13)

But continue in those things which you have learned and which have been committed to you. Knowing of whom you have learned them: And because from your infancy you have known the holy scriptures which can instruct you to salvation by the faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice: That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.

I charge you, before God and Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead, by his coming and his kingdom: Preach the word: be instant in season, out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doctrine.
(2 Timothy 3:14-17, 4:1-2)

And he spoke also a parable to them, that we ought always to pray and not to fall weary, saying: There was a judge in a certain city, who feared not God nor regarded man. And there was a certain widow in that city; and she came to him, saying: Avenge me of my adversary. And he would not for a long time. But afterwards he said within himself: Although I fear not God nor regard man, yet because this widow is troublesome to me, I will avenge her, lest continually coming she weary me. And the Lord said: Hear what the unjust judge said. And will not God revenge his elect who cry to him day and night? And will he have patience in their regard? I say to you that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he comes, shall he find, think you, faith on earth? ( Luke 18:1-8 )

Reflection:

Alone, we may find it difficult to overcome that which threatens us, but when God is with us, we can prevail against even the most impossible of situations. The question is, what is our faith, what is our endurance and who of faith is with us? Though Moses held the staff of God, he was but one man with all which eventually becomes weak and weary, but with the hands of Aaron and Hur, Moses was able to hold the staff of God high so that Joshua and his men were able to prevail against the advancing army of Amalec for God heard and answered the prayer of Moses.

God is willing to perform many miracles for us, but He also asks that we do our part, that we demonstrate the strength of our faith, that we follow what He asks of us. As we lift up our hopes in prayer, God will hear us. As we join with others in prayer and faith, He will walk with us and enable us to share in the blessings of faith and the strength He gives to our soul. (Matthew 18:19-20)

Just as the men who fought with Joshua were not military men, but soldiers of faith, we are engaged in battle, for we are told that all who seek to live in Christ will be persecuted. (2 Timothy 3:12) We might wonder, then, why does God allow such persecution? Why does He not simply wipe away the evil which faces us? Perhaps the question to us from God is, are we willing to persevere in faith by which evil shall be thwarted? Will we reach out for His hand by which we may be led in that which is right and just? In such times, the endurance of our faith may be tested. We must recognize that alone, we are likely to grow weary, but as we join with one another in faith, as we encourage one another to live by His Word, He will enable his faithful to prevail.

Paul sought to encourage Timothy as Timothy went forth as a leader of faith. Paul warned Timothy of the challenges presented by false prophets and teachers and charged Timothy to have courage in faith by which he may share the truth of the gospel and inspire others to walk with Christ, for as others are inspired to live by His truth, so shall the community of Christ grow. Just as we observe Paul encourage the younger Timothy to share of the knowledge he received from Paul, we see it is also our responsibility to one another and the generations which follow to arm them with the knowledge of His truth. If we do not, if we remain silent in faith, we leave a vacuum which the evil one shall gleefully fill with purveyors of deception. As we fail to share the reasons for our hope (1 Peter 3:14-16) and the truth of our faith, we leave vulnerable to the evil one those who are without knowledge of the fullness and blessings of faith.

Should we find ourselves fearful, worried or distressed with what faces us, we may lift up our concerns in prayer. Some would tell us that God knows our every need; therefore, we need not repeat our prayers. They point to the teaching of Jesus that we should not use many words as the pagans do. (Matthew 6:7-Cool Some would say it is a disrespect to God to repeat our prayers because he already knows our needs, but then, why did Jesus also advise us to be persistent for what we pray?

Our prayers are a conversation with God. At times, we may pray in praise. In other moments, we may offer petitions associated with our concerns. Our prayers may be for others. We should also remember to lift prayers up in thanks for His blessings and His answers to our petitions. Paul advises us to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17); therefore, we are invited to keep a constant conversation with God.

The admonishment of Jesus against the use of many words (babbling) must also be considered in context of His encouragement to us to be persistent in prayer. God wants to hear from us. It is true He knows our every need, but it is through prayer that we let Him know we care. Our words are not empty if they are offered from within the depths of our heart. Our petitions are not empty though we may offer them with persistence. Our repeated praise to Him is not empty if it is said with adoration in the same fashion the angels repeat their praises of the Lord. ( Isaiah 6:3, Revelation 4:8 )

Let us, then, be persistent in prayer. Let us share our hearts with our Lord. Let us lift up our hearts in praise. Let us offer up our sorrows and petitions for His assistance. Let us pray for the needs of others. Let His holy name be constantly on our minds, upon our lips and within our hearts. Let us also listen and watch for His answer. Let us open our hearts to Him so that He may guide us. Let us not forget to lift up our hearts in thanks for all the blessings He gives, the many ways He works within our lives and the answers to our petitions.

May the peace and blessings of the Lord be with you always,
Prayer Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: