Guardian Angel Store - Christian gifts and books to share your values

Site Search:

Store Search:

Home > Forums > Reflections > Of Happiness and Despair Home | Forums | My Account |  My Wishlist  |  Cart Contents  |  Checkout  |  www.GuardianAngelStore.com is RSS enabled.  Add this link to your feed reader to get our news updates.  In the forums add the link next to the forums you want to receive updates for.
 Navigation

Main
 Home
General
 News
 News Submission
 News Topics
 Search
 Sitemap
Community
 Forums
 Web Links
Members
 Account
Information
 About Us
 Contact
 FAQ
 Legal Documents
 Link To Us

Shopping

Aids--Classroom, Bible, Office
Angels
Automotive
Bereavement & Memorial
Bible Center
Books
Books, Used
Candles & Necessities
Church Supplies
Clothing
Collectibles/Figurines
Crosses/Crucifixes
Devotions
Encouragement/Inspirational Gift
Garden Decor
Gifts for Family & Friends
Home Treasures
Jewelry
Knights of Columbus Gifts
Love, Weddings & Marriage
Media - CDs/DVDs/Software
Message Cards
Names to Remember
Patriotism
Pocket Coins & Tokens
Sacramentals
Sacraments
Saints
Special Seasons
Sports
Toys/Games

New Products

Shop by Price
Under $10
From $10 - $30
From $30 - $50
From $50 - $100
Above $100
All Price Ranges

Guardian Angel Store: Forums

The Guardian Angel Store Forums :: View topic - Of Happiness and Despair
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of Happiness and Despair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nam-eno

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Of Happiness and Despair Reply with quote

At times, I watch others and marvel at those who always seem to be happy and upbeat. I am sure they have moments of pain and anger, but as they deal with others, they seem to be a catalyst for calm, peace and moments of joy. I have noticed that in these situations, the individual I observe has a strong spiritual relationship with God.

And what about those of us who struggle with finding happiness? Many of us profess to be Christian, but true happiness eludes us or we only seem to be blessed with fleeting moments of happiness and joy, only to be replaced with sadness, irritation, anger or despair. Perhaps what we experience is found in what we seek of this world and what we fail to seek in the Lord.

Of course, our existence is influenced by many. We cannot go through life without interacting with those about us. Those who seek the goodness of the Lord must still deal with those who are filled with evil. In the trials of the world, we fall to the pain of evil only if we observe our present and do not look to our future past this world and the life we may have with our Lord.

God granted us free will, so we choose how we respond to that which is about us. We may face sadness, but we do not need to dwell in despair. We may face irritation, but we do not need to dwell in anger. We may face offense, but we do not need to dwell in degradation. We may face insult, but we do not need to accept it. We may be hurt by the thoughtless actions of others, but we do not need to withhold forgiveness.

When faced with challenges, we choose our response. If we are not satisfied, we may choose to desire less. We choose our satisfaction, whether it is this world or the kingdom of the Lord. We may allow ourselves to be imprisoned through some event of adversity, or we may choose to allow God to lead our way beyond it.

If our happiness is only found in the events of this world, we will only face eventual disappointment. Whatever we have will eventually be gone. We may choose to dwell in the despair of the world. We may choose to dwell in anger and hate. We may choose to judge and to withhold forgiveness. We may choose to seek satisfaction in the world, but each of these ways lead to eventual destruction.

If we seek everlasting happiness, then, we must look beyond this world. If we choose to accept our Lord, then, no adversity of this world may have power over us. If we accept Him as our Lord and Savior, if we pray for His mercy and forgiveness, if we choose to live according to His word, then, we choose to live beyond the afflictions of this world; we choose to seek the blessings of the kingdom of God.

Dear Lord, when I succumb to the despairs of this world, help me to see that there is no use in dwelling there. Help me to remember that my fulfillment is in You. Help me to remember that there is no gain in this world that will follow my soul into eternity beyond my faith in You. Help me to remember that the only loss in this world that will follow me into eternity is the compromise of my soul.

Dear Lord, I confess that I have failed You in what I have done and what I have failed to do. I confess, that in my weakness, I have fallen to sin. In my sin, I can only find sadness and despair. I pray for Your forgiveness. I pray for Your mercy. I pray for Your grace. I pray for the wisdom to seek Your word. I pray for strength to turn from temptation.

Dear Mary, Mother of God, pray for me and all sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Nam Eno

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: