Guardian Angel Store - Christian gifts and books to share your values

Site Search:

Store Search:

Home > Forums > Reflections > Pondering a Special Day of Love Home | Forums | My Account |  My Wishlist  |  Cart Contents  |  Checkout  |  www.GuardianAngelStore.com is RSS enabled.  Add this link to your feed reader to get our news updates.  In the forums add the link next to the forums you want to receive updates for.
 Navigation

Main
 Home
General
 News
 News Submission
 News Topics
 Search
 Sitemap
Community
 Forums
 Web Links
Members
 Account
Information
 About Us
 Contact
 FAQ
 Legal Documents
 Link To Us

Shopping

Aids--Classroom, Bible, Office
Angels
Automotive
Bereavement & Memorial
Bible Center
Books
Books, Used
Candles & Necessities
Church Supplies
Clothing
Collectibles/Figurines
Crosses/Crucifixes
Devotions
Encouragement/Inspirational Gift
Garden Decor
Gifts for Family & Friends
Home Treasures
Jewelry
Knights of Columbus Gifts
Love, Weddings & Marriage
Media - CDs/DVDs/Software
Message Cards
Names to Remember
Patriotism
Pocket Coins & Tokens
Sacramentals
Sacraments
Saints
Special Seasons
Sports
Toys/Games

New Products

Shop by Price
Under $10
From $10 - $30
From $30 - $50
From $50 - $100
Above $100
All Price Ranges

Guardian Angel Store: Forums

The Guardian Angel Store Forums :: View topic - Pondering a Special Day of Love
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pondering a Special Day of Love

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prayer-Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Pondering a Special Day of Love Reply with quote

Many blessings to all,

On 14 Feb, many will seek a card, flowers, candy or a special gift to give on what has become known as a special day for love. We assume the day was named after someone named Valentine, but history points to several different explanations extending back to the days of the Romans in the first few centuries after the birth and death of Christ. In one case, history references St. Venantius who was martyred in 250 A.D. for refusing to give up Christianity.

Another account references St. Valentine who was executed during the reign of Emperor Claudius. The crime of St. Valentine was to secretly marry young adults despite the decree of the emperor which prohibited engagements and marriages. The emperor made the decree as he believed young men of fighting age would be more willing to go off to war if they did not have the distractions of love and family. Accounts relate that on the day of his death, 14 Feb 270 A.D., St. Valentine left a letter for the daughter of his jailer, thanking her for her friendship. He allegedly signed it, “Love from your Valentine.” As the story goes, St. Valentine gave his life for love. In recognition of his sacrifice, many young men and women came to the jail and threw flowers and notes to the prison cell window of St. Valentine.

While speculation endures as to the origin of the traditions in which we engage on 14 Feb, we see that love is often demonstrated through sacrifice. There is another who demonstrated His love through sacrifice and that is the child of the blessed Virgin Mary, our Lord and Savior.

While young and old will use 14 Feb in expression of friendship and love, we should also take a moment on this special day to remember the sacrifice He made for our sins and the life ever lasting which He offers. As we approach this day of love, we should also remember that every relationship that includes God is blessed. As God became man, He brought us a message of love. He called us to love one another as He loves us. There is a special meaning in love.

If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing; if tongues, they will cease; if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing. For we know partially and we prophesy partially, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things. At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known. So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

As 14 Feb approaches, we all will hopefully have a special Valentine in mind. We are blessed to have a special day of love, but our prayer should be for love every day of the year. Can we think what the world would be if all the world could fulfill the commandment of the Lord to love.

May the Lord be with you,
Prayer Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: