Guardian Angel Store - Christian gifts and books to share your values

Site Search:

Store Search:

Home > Forums > Reflections > Life Giving Water Home | Forums | My Account |  My Wishlist  |  Cart Contents  |  Checkout  |  www.GuardianAngelStore.com is RSS enabled.  Add this link to your feed reader to get our news updates.  In the forums add the link next to the forums you want to receive updates for.
 Navigation

Main
 Home
General
 News
 News Submission
 News Topics
 Search
 Sitemap
Community
 Forums
 Web Links
Members
 Account
Information
 About Us
 Contact
 FAQ
 Legal Documents
 Link To Us

Shopping

Aids--Classroom, Bible, Office
Angels
Automotive
Bereavement & Memorial
Bible Center
Books
Books, Used
Candles & Necessities
Church Supplies
Clothing
Collectibles/Figurines
Crosses/Crucifixes
Devotions
Encouragement/Inspirational Gift
Garden Decor
Gifts for Family & Friends
Home Treasures
Jewelry
Knights of Columbus Gifts
Love, Weddings & Marriage
Media - CDs/DVDs/Software
Message Cards
Names to Remember
Patriotism
Pocket Coins & Tokens
Sacramentals
Sacraments
Saints
Special Seasons
Sports
Toys/Games

New Products

Shop by Price
Under $10
From $10 - $30
From $30 - $50
From $50 - $100
Above $100
All Price Ranges

Guardian Angel Store: Forums

The Guardian Angel Store Forums :: View topic - Life Giving Water
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life Giving Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prayer-Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Life Giving Water Reply with quote

But the people thirsted there for water, and the people murmured against Moses, and said, “Why did you bring us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?” So Moses cried to the LORD, “What shall I do with this people? They are almost ready to stone me.” And the LORD said to Moses, “Pass on before the people, taking with you some of the elders of Israel; and take in your hand the rod with which you struck the Nile, and go. Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb; and you shall strike the rock, and water shall come out of it, that the people may drink.“ And Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel. And he called the name of the place Massah and Meribah, because of the faultfinding of the children of Israel, and because they put the LORD to the proof by saying, “Is the LORD among us or not?” (Exodus 17:3-7)

It is written that we should not put the Lord our God to the test, yet, how often are we like the people of Moses? They were delivered from slavery, but were they willing to face the challenge of their freedom? As they traveled the desert, life giving water was found to be scarce. The pain of thirst made them wonder if they were being led from one misery to a worse fate. In their trial, they challenged their leader, Moses; they questioned God, questioning if He was truly with them.

To survive in this world, one of our most basic needs is water. To be deprived of it for too long means death, so the challenge the people of Moses faced was one of basic need, one they knew was essential for life. As their thirst grew, they became desperate in their ways. Today, as we live in relative comfort, we may ask how the people of Moses could be this way, but would we be any different if our tongues were severely parched? Are we any different in relation to the challenges we face? Do we question God for much lessor issues in our life?

The people of Moses faced trial in their thirst. For what reason could God have for allowing misery amongst His children? For what reason would He deliver them from Egypt only for them to face the pain of dire thirst in the desert? The only answer is so that what would come would come. In the hour of need and uncertainty of what was to happen, Moses prayed to the Lord for guidance and God responded with life giving water.

He knows our every need, our every want, but whatever the desires of the flesh, they remain temporary. If we drink the water of this world, we shall be quenched for a moment, but we will continue to thirst, for what is here is brief. If we were to live like this forever, we would become slaves to our thirst, forever struggling in misery; but the water of life we may receive from our Lord can free us from the thirst of this world and quench our souls forever.

As Moses struck the rock, the people of Moses received life giving water. As it was for the people of Moses, so is it for all the children of God, for God sent His only begotten Son so that upon the rock of Peter, He could build His church, the church from which the life giving water of the Holy Spirit would flow so that all souls might be filled with everlasting life.

Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in our hope of sharing the glory of God. And hope does not disappoint us, because the love of God has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us. While we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. Why, one will hardly die for a righteous man -- though perhaps for a good man one will dare even to die. But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. (Romans 5:1-2, 5-Cool

There are those who have taken upon themselves a mission to protect the innocent. It is through selfless service that they place their life at risk to protect the weak, the innocent, the freedom of those who would otherwise be oppressed. Blessed are those who offer themselves in such sacrifice. They risk death so that others may live. Still, it is one thing to die for the innocent, but who would lay themselves down for the guilty? Who would spend the precious gift of life so that the sinful may live; yet it was He who did just that for us.

Our relationship with the Father is through the Son. It is through His sacrifice that we are offered forgiveness. Sacrifice is made through selflessness. Selflessness comes from love. For what reason would the sinless lay down His life for the sinful if it were not for love of the creation of the Father? In response to the selflessness offered for us, what selflessness do we have for Him?

[/I][/B]So he came to a city of Samar ia, called Sy char, near the field that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Jacob\\\'s well was there, and so Jesus, wearied as he was with his journey, sat down beside the well. It was about the sixth hour. There came a woman of Samar ia to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samar ia?” For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans. Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, “Give me a drink,” you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” The woman said to him, “Sir, you have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep; where do you get that living water? Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, and his sons, and his cattle?” Jesus said to her, “Every one who drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst; the water that I shall give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, that I may not thirst, nor come here to draw.”

The woman said to him, “Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain; and you say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.“ Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ); when he comes, he will show us all things.”

Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.” Many Samaritans from that city believed in him because of the testimony of the woman, “He told me all that I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they asked him to stay with them; and he stayed there two days. And many more believed because of his word. They said to the woman, “It is no longer because of your words that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world.” [/I][/B](John 4:5-15, 19-26, 39-42)

God revealed Himself to Moses while he was alone. Jesus revealed Himself to the Samaritan woman as they were alone at the well. While Jesus told others to not reveal His work, to the Samaritan woman, He said, “I who speak to you am He.” While He asked her for water which may only temporarily quench thirst, He told her of the water which quenches the parched soul.

In this conversation, Jesus reached beyond the Jews so that all the children of God would be invited to His house. Through life giving water, the water of Jesus Christ, the everlasting water of salvation; all the children of God may be washed of their sins; they may be purified of that which taints them; they may be cleansed so they may walk among the pure in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus told the woman that a day would come when all would worship the Lord, not just in a special city or on a special mountain, but in and through the spirit which is always with them, the Spirit granted by God. Of what Jesus spoke was the Advocate which Jesus told us He would ask the Father to send us so that as Jesus departed from this world, the children of God would not be left orphans. Jesus told us the Advocate would be the Spirit of truth, the Holy Spirit, One in being with the Father so that the Father and Son may always remain in us.

The Holy Spirit is sent to give us the light of truth, the purity of the Word, but in this world, we are constantly tempted to impurity. We must see and understand that the temptations which corrupt us, also corrupts our relationship with God and one another. That which lures us away from the fulfillment of the commandments of love, lures us away into the darkness, lures us away from peace and love, lures us away from everlasting life. Blessed are we that through the sacrifice of One, all may be forgiven of their impurity and through His life giving water be granted the gift of everlasting life in the house of the Father.

Though the same water which the Samaritan woman asks of Jesus is offered to all, the question is, who will seek to drink from it? The cliché is, “You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink.” We must ask ourselves, what thirst do we seek to quench?

May the peace and blessings of the Lord be with you always,
Prayer Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: