Guardian Angel Store - Christian gifts and books to share your values

Site Search:

Store Search:

Home > Forums > Reflections > The Bread Sent From Heaven Home | Forums | My Account |  My Wishlist  |  Cart Contents  |  Checkout  |  www.GuardianAngelStore.com is RSS enabled.  Add this link to your feed reader to get our news updates.  In the forums add the link next to the forums you want to receive updates for.
 Navigation

Main
 Home
General
 News
 News Submission
 News Topics
 Search
 Sitemap
Community
 Forums
 Web Links
Members
 Account
Information
 About Us
 Contact
 FAQ
 Legal Documents
 Link To Us

Shopping

Aids--Classroom, Bible, Office
Angels
Automotive
Bereavement & Memorial
Bible Center
Books
Books, Used
Candles & Necessities
Church Supplies
Clothing
Collectibles/Figurines
Crosses/Crucifixes
Devotions
Encouragement/Inspirational Gift
Garden Decor
Gifts for Family & Friends
Home Treasures
Jewelry
Knights of Columbus Gifts
Love, Weddings & Marriage
Media - CDs/DVDs/Software
Message Cards
Names to Remember
Patriotism
Pocket Coins & Tokens
Sacramentals
Sacraments
Saints
Special Seasons
Sports
Toys/Games

New Products

Shop by Price
Under $10
From $10 - $30
From $30 - $50
From $50 - $100
Above $100
All Price Ranges

Guardian Angel Store: Forums

The Guardian Angel Store Forums :: View topic - The Bread Sent From Heaven
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bread Sent From Heaven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prayer-Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: The Bread Sent From Heaven Reply with quote

The Bread Sent From Heaven

Scripture:

And you shall remember all the way through which the Lord your God has brought you for forty years through the desert, to afflict you and to prove you, and that the things that were known in your heart might be made known, whether you would keep his commandments or no. He afflicted you with want, and gave you manna for your food, which neither you nor your fathers knew: to show that not in bread alone does man live, but in every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Your heart be lifted up, and you remember not the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage: And was you leader in the great and terrible wilderness, wherein there was the serpent burning with his breath, and the scorpion and the dipsas, and no waters at all: who brought forth streams out of the hardest rock, and fed you in the wilderness with manna which your fathers knew not. And after he had afflicted and proved you, at the last he had mercy on you.
( Deuteronomy 8:2-3, 14-16 )

The chalice of benediction which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? And the bread which we break, is it not the partaking of the body of the Lord? For we, being many, are one bread, one body: all that partake of one bread. ( 1 Corinthians 10:16-17 )

I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you. He that eats my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed. He that eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me: and I in him. As the living Father has sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eats me, the same also shall live by me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eats this bread shall live for ever. ( John 6:51-58 )

Reflection:

As we walk our daily journey, we are quick to see our troubles, but do we have the same acuity in the observation of our blessings? We seem to relish in relating to others our trials, but to whom do we relate our comforts? Though we believe we are troubled, we do not need to look far to find another who is not as blessed as we. Our challenges are a matter of perspective, but we all may share in the same blessing, the blessing of salvation.

Though we are faced with responsibilities; whether it be school, work, or some other task; we have much for which we should be thankful. There are so many things we take for granted that others may only dream to have. To whom do we give thanks for our comforts? With whom do we share our blessings? As we begin and end each day, who do we serve?

Can we imagine if we were the ones who walked the desert? Can we imagine if we were the ones who thirsted for water and hungered for food? There are many in this day who face the same and have even less. No matter how we may be afflicted, no matter our trial of the moment, there is always someone else who faces a greater challenge or who is tested by a greater tragedy.

We might ask: Dear Lord, why have I been blessed with a meal today, but the person over there has not? The answer comes with many complications, but whatever the test we receive, the reason is for the coming of a greater good. Though His chosen people wandered for 40 years, He delivered them sharpened, more determined, strengthened in faith as they struggled with the fragility of life and comprehension of the blessings of the Lord.

He leaves us to our choices and the consequences which they bring. Many look to the lives of others and dream of fame, fortune, celebrity or power; but the ways of the world only deliver illusions of happiness. In prayer, we may find the true path He offers. Nobility, politicians, and celebrities, if they but understood the happiness possible through Him would give all to be with Him.

Those who truly understand His Word start the day counting the blessings before them, for as they focus upon their blessings, their troubles are brought to size and perhaps drift away. For this reason, those perceived with less are often happier than those perceived with more. Fear not the tests and afflictions before us, for when we trust in Him, we will find the greater good which He has planned. If we trust in Him, we may set aside the emptiness of the world and rejoice in the depths of love which we may find only through Him.

Though we may wake each day and ponder the troubles to come, to place our trials in perspective, we need only look to the day where our salvation was purchased through the sacrifice made for us upon the cross. We may ask: How did His day start? We may ask: How did He stand against the trials before Him? We may ask: What sustained Him as He looked down from the cross? The answer is love. The answer is for the greater purpose to come. The answer is that the Lamb of God; through His suffering, death and resurrection; took away the sins of the world and purchased for the generations everlasting life in His kingdom for those who believe in Him.

Before He demonstrated His great passion for the children of His creation, He brought His disciples together. At their last meal before His betrayal, scourging, and crucifixion; He blessed and broke the bread, saying: This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me ( Luke 22:19 ). In the same way, He blessed the cup, gave it to them and said: Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins ( Matthew 26:27-28 ). In this way, as we share of His body and drink the cup of His blood, we remember His death until His return ( 1 Corinthians 11:27 ).

Those He freed from slavery were given manna from heaven to sustain them during their journey through the desert. So we may have life beyond this world, He has given us a new bread from heaven. He has given us His flesh and His blood so that we may join in communion with Him to become one within the body of Christ. As we consume the body and blood of our Lord, we bring Him within us. The food of the world will only sustain us for a time, but the bread from heaven will bring us to eternity.

As with all things, He has left the choice to us whether or not to share of the bread from heaven. If it were not our choice, then, what is done would have no meaning. As we choose to receive Him, by sharing in the bread from heaven, we proclaim our belief in Him and inherit all which He has promised. As we make this choice, we declare our love of Him. If this were not our choice, freely made from our heart, then, we would not be able to proclaim our belief and our love.

He has shown His great love for us. He has shown us the way through His sacrifice. He has set the table for us and invited us to Him. Blessed are those who respond to His call, for the banquet from the table He sets will sustain the soul forever. Blessed are those who eat His body and drink His blood, for as often as they do this in remembrance of Him, they join in the eternal banquet of love and proclaim His great glory. In prayer, we may rejoice and offer thanks for the love He has poured out for us. In prayer, we may offer our love in return.

May the peace and blessings of the Lord be with you always,
Prayer Soldier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guardian Angel Store Forums Forum Index -> Reflections Printable Version All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: